General Information Edit
Design of real-time digital systems using microprocessor-based embedded controllers. Students working in pairs design, debug, and construct several small systems that illustrate and employ the techniques of digital system design acquired in previous courses. The content focuses on the laboratory work. The lectures are used primarily for the introduction of examples, description of specific modules to be designed, and instruction in the hardware and high-level design tools to be employed.
A culminating design experience course (CDE).
Its course webpage is extremely well documented, with homeworks, labs, lectures, and final projects from previous years.
Topics Covered Edit
- Review software concurrency, interrupt service routines, and threads.
- Hardware concurrency: Getting good performance by using all of the concurrently executing co-processors available on the microcontroller chip. Including: DMA, five timers, SPI, USART, ADC subsystem, CTMU and others.
- Thread programming
- Precision time interval measurement/generation
- 2D graphics
- SPI DAC and noise considerations
- Scanning a keypad: connections, scan code, and state machine
- Fixed point arithmetic for speed
- Direct Memory Access (DMA) controller for fast I/O.
- Motor control: PWM, PID controllers, need for optoisolation
- Power saving modes
- Sound synthesis – Direct Digital Synthesis
- Specifying, planning, building, and testing of a project.
- Analog noise and circuit layout.
- Physical construction. Soldering, board layout.
- Debugging of mixed hardware/software systems.
- Five design projects (teams of 2-3 students)
- Four guided design projects
- Final project decided by each team
- Lab workload is heavy
It is usually not possible to finish the lab within your allotted lab sections unlike other lab courses. It is often necessary to attend extra labs held during the week. There are no exams.
Past Offerings Edit
|Fall 2014||MWF 12:20 - 1:10||Bruce Land||A|
|Fall 2015||MWF 12:20 - 1:10||Bruce Land||?|
|Fall 2016||MWF 12:20 - 1:10||Bruce Land||?|
|Fall 2017||MWF 12:20 - 1:10||Bruce Land||A|
MWF 12:20 - 1:10